VA Benefits Planning
VA Benefits Planning. At Kane & Crowell, PLLC, we understand the cost of long term care is more than most can afford. The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) recognizes this is an issue for those who have served our country and has a special program known as “Aid and Attendance”. Unfortunately, many people who are eligible do not realize this and miss out on the opportunity to qualify. This program is available if you meet the following requirements:
Both of these must be true:
- You served at least 90 days of active duty
- 1 day of your 90-day service must have been during a defined period of war
- You didn’t receive a dishonorable discharge, and
- Your yearly family income and net worth meet certain limits set by Congress. Your net worth includes all personal property you own (except your house, your car, and most home furnishings), minus any debt you owe. Your net worth includes the net worth of your spouse.
Find out about Veterans Pension rates
And at least one of these must be true about your service:
- Mexican Border period (May 9, 1916, to April 5, 1917, for Veterans who served in Mexico, on its borders, or in adjacent waters)
- World War I (April 6, 1917, to November 11, 1918)
- World War II (December 7, 1941, to December 31, 1946)
- Korean conflict (June 27, 1950, to January 31, 1955)
- Vietnam War era (November 1, 1955, to May 7, 1975, for Veterans who served in the Republic of Vietnam during that period. August 5, 1964, to May 7, 1975, for Veterans who served outside the Republic of Vietnam.)
- Gulf War (August 2, 1990, through a future date to be set by law or presidential proclamation)
And at least one of these must be true:
- You’re at least 65 years old, or
- You have a permanent and total disability, or
- You’re a patient in a nursing home for long-term care because of a disability, or
- You’re getting Social Security Disability Insurance or Supplemental Security Income
Due to the wide range of long-term care planning that goes hand in hand with VA Benefits Planning, Kane & Crowell, PLLC is a great resource for helping you receive the assistance you have earned.
If you or your loved ones meet the requirements or are unsure if you are eligible, please schedule a VA Benefits Planning consultation with one of our attorneys, Angel Kane or Bryson Eubanks.